Ramadan Dinner Party + Free Printables

By Vanessa on August 12, 11

Last Ramadan, my husband and I set out to plan  a fun & festive dinner party for our friends observing the month of Ramadan.

What is Ramadan, you ask?  Here is a crash course in Ramadan 101 taken from www.howstuffworks.com (…yes, I know, very official):

• “Every year, more than one billion Muslims around the globe observe the importance of the month of Ramadan. This time of the year is a time for reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. During the month of Ramadan, Muslims show their devotion to God by fasting, or abstaining from food.”
  • “Ramadan is an important time for Muslims, not simply because it helps develop a closer relationship with God, but also because Ramadan is a time to think about those who are less fortunate. Another goal of fasting for Ramadan is to experience hunger in sympathy for those without food. It is a way that many Muslims learn thankfulness and appreciation for what they have.”

During the month Ramadan Muslims must fast from sunrise to sunset.  This year, Ramadan falls in the middle of summer which means fasting from 4-ish to 9-ish for us Michiganders!  That is a loooong time without food, water, or COFFEE, which is why we wanted to do something extra special for our friends :)

I went on the web in search for some cute decorations and dinner party ideas but came up short. I was looking for something modern and whimsical that my little boys could relate to but anything I found was very classic and ornate.  I decided to take matters into my own hands and create homemade decorations and wanted to share with you… you know, in case you wanted to try it too!

I decided to go with a bright green color scheme and incorporated some blue highlights.  Every guest had their own place setting, complete with a “Drink Me At Sundown” water bottle :)  I used nice quality paper products purchased from Party City so that I wouldn’t have hundreds of dishes to wash.

For dinner we had a combination of homemade and restaurant purchased Lebanese food.  The menu included fattoush salad, taboulli,  hummous dip, eggplant dip, marinated grilled chicken, cinnamon rice topped with lamb, and herbed roasted mini potatoes (I should post the recipe for that soon).

Now on to dessert…Keeping with the Alice and Wonderland style “Eat Me” theme, I also created printable cupcake toppers for my homemade cupcakes.

Individual sized fruit trifles were topped with a sprig of fresh mint to keep with the green theme. I used plastic disposable water goblets from GFS to serve.  I’ve also seen similar cups at Party City and Dollar Tree.  I tied on mini plastic spoons, also purchased from GFS.

Homemade coconut macaroons topped with maraschino cherries -> Click for Recipe

I added star sprinkles to the rice crispy treats to keep with the celestial theme.

Tissue flowers & star cut-outs were used to decorate this dessert table arrangement.

I unfortunately didn’t get any pictures of the room decorations :(  In all the commotion of the day, I misplaced my good camera.  Luckily, a friend brought their camera so I was able to at least capture some pictures to share!  To decorate the house, I strung green lights throughout the room and made tissue paper pom-poms in green and blue.  You can get the instructions for the tissue poms from www.marthastewart.com.  I also hung a homemade “Happy Ramadan” banner and strung moon & star cutouts throughout the room.

I have attached a FREE Ramadan Iftar Collection printable PDF to help you create a similar party yourself!   Just click on the picture below to view the file and instructions!

If you would like some customized treat labels, drop me a line in the comments field with your menu and I’ll email it to you :)

Update: You can also download free Eid Al-Adha printables -> HERE

Related posts:

12 Responses to “Ramadan Dinner Party + Free Printables”

1. Maria says:

Some of the most brilliant ideas I have ever been about Ramadan parties. Thank you so much and please keep up the good work in sharing your creative projects! May Allah bless you and your loved ones for your good deeds!

2. Maimoona says:

I really appreciate your efforts !!!Fasting not only does the above you mentioned but also it helps you get away from digestive disorders . Ireally love iftar time coz.. we get lots of things to fill your tummy wid!!! But i also make it a point not to make it a MEAL!!! ITs just IFTAR AND SO its not a meal !!! You in my opinion have highlighted the point so your idea is great to take !!!

3. Amra says:

Hello,

I am trying to use some of your ideas for a Ramadan dinner that I will be hosting (so happy I stumbled upon your site) and I was wondering where you got those star shaped candle holders. I am in crunch time to get this party ready and hope to get those in a local store. Any of the stores might have those? Pls help! :)

• Vanessa says:

Hello Amra, I purchased the candle holders from Dollar Tree two years ago. They probably still have them. Best of luck with your dinner party! Ramadan Kareem :)

4. Samar says:

One of the best things i found on the web about Ramadan. Thank You!!

5. sabrina says:

As a muslim who is looking to find new ideas to help my kids love the month of ramadan i came across your post. Thank you so much for being so kind to take the time out of your life to do something like this for ur friends. thanks!

6. Rebecca Marchetti says:

Hi. Love your blog.

I love all of your labels…I would love to be able to design and make my own for my parties but don’t have a clue what program would allow me to do it. Would you mind giving me either the one you use or others you might know of. I just did a party for my daughter’s 7th birthday and I handmade all of the tags because I couldn’t find a program…it took forever!!!!
    Thanks for your help.
    Rebecca

• Vanessa says:

Hi Rebecca, actually I do not use or know of any special programs to make labels. I actually just use Microsoft Powerpoint and use the basic shapes and lines and sometimes free clip-art. Try it out, you’d be amazed at how much you can do by putting together basic shapes and lines ;)

7. Ayesha khan says:

I’m soo impressed with ur work!!
    Especially the Ramadan party printable!
    I’ve never seen this before!
    Keep up the good work! X

8. Vanessa says:

Thanks, glad you liked it! Hope you have a Happy Eid :)

9. Rida says:

Awww. That is so sweet! I was very surprised when I got a notification for this post. Not something you normally see on blogs. I’m Muslim and I can’t help thinking how lucky your friends are to have you.
    I love
    a) how you made an effort to understand and explain what the month of Ramadan is about;
    b) that you wanted to do something extra special for them because of it;
    c) everything that you’ve done! I’m fasting right now and I really wish I had that to look forward to at iftar (the time when we break the fast). I’d be a really happy girl :P

love your blog btw. thanks for sharing all this with us :)

RSS feed for comments on this post. And trackBack URL.