This month, I’ve joined an Improv Cooking Challenged hosted by a wonderful blog called The Lady Behind the Curtain. Here’s how it works: every month the host assigns two ingredients and we have to either create or find a recipe using those ingredients. There are many people across the web participating, so please be sure to visit other sites to see all their creative ideas! Does it sound so fun?? It’s like Iron Chef but without a crazy announcer… and we have like a whole MONTH to do it
For the challenge, I decided to put use my favorite apple cake recipe and mix in some elements of pineapple upside down cake and monkey bread. I call it…. are you ready for this??… Maple-Caramel-Apple-Upside-Down-Cake! It’s a perfect autumn dessert, you really should try it…. I challenge you!
What You Need
- Your favorite apple cake batter recipe. I used Emeril’s Apple Coffee Cake Recipe which worked well for me in the past (made it minus the crumble topping)
- 2 Apples – peeled, cored, and sliced thin
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown cugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Caramel sundae topping
- Prepare apple cake batter as directed
- Whisk together melted butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar and pour into a greased Bundt pan
- Sprinkle in chopped nuts
- Layer apple slices to cover the bottom of the pan
- Pour in apple cake batter and bake as directed
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then invert onto a plate or cake platter.
- Drizzle with caramel topping and serve warm!